OIF Summary; Dec. 9, 2008: Troops in Iraq Seize Suspects, Weapons
Dispatches from the Front:
WASHINGTON, Dec. 9, 2008 -- Coalition and Iraqi forces detained 21 suspected terrorists during operations targeting terrorist networks throughout Iraq.
In Ramadi, west of Baghdad, coalition and Iraqi forces today captured a wanted man who reportedly is linked to leaders in a Baghdad-based terrorist network. Another suspect also was detained.
Also today, coalition forces detained two suspects while targeting Mosul-based al-Qaida in Iraq leaders in Ash Shurah, south of Mosul.
In Beiji, south of Mosul, coalition forces today captured a wanted man and an associate believed to have ties to al-Qaida in Iraq in Anbar.
Elsewhere, Multinational Division Baghdad soldiers detained two suspected criminals today in southern Baghdad’s Rashid district. The men are suspected of rocket and mortar attacks and murder.
Also in Rashid, Multinational Division Baghdad soldiers detained two suspects suspected of involvement in indirect-fire attacks.
In operations in Iraq yesterday:
- In Kadamiyah, Multinational Division Baghdad soldiers detained a suspected leader of an Iranian-backed cell responsible for attacks on coalition forces.
- In Mosul, coalition forces captured a suspected terrorist who reportedly is involved in the al-Qaida in Iraq command and control network's media operations. Forces also detained two men suspected of being associated with the wanted man.
- Coalition forces detained one suspect in Beiji believed to be linked to al-Qaida in Iraq leaders in Anbar province.
- In Baghdad, coalition forces captured a wanted man suspected of ties to a local al-Qaida in Iraq bombing cell.
- In Tikrit, north of Baghdad, forces captured a man suspected of financing al-Qaida in Iraq operations and of providing weapons and safe houses to al-Qaida in Iraq operatives. Another suspect believed to be his associate also was detained.
- Coalition forces detained a man in Karmah, west of Baghdad, suspected of ties to area al-Qaida in Iraq leaders.
- Iraqi National Police arrested two suspected al-Qaida in Iraq members east of Baghdad. The men are believed to be members of a bombing cell in Samadiyah, southeast of Baghdad.
(Compiled from Multinational Force Iraq and Multinational Corps Iraq news releases.)
Tags: DOD, War, Military, GWOT, terrorism, al Qaeda, al Qaida, Middle East, Operation Iraqi Freedom, OIF, United States, U.S., coalition, Iraq, Dispatches from the Front, Multinational Force
Global Tags: Washington DC, News and Politics, News, Politics, Current Events, Current Affairs, Life, Culture, Buzz, Tension