Friday, November 11, 2005

God's Wrath In Penn.vs. Moral Education

APE SKULLCOMMENTARY
UPDATED: Back in my college days one of my psych professors asked me how I would teach my children to be moral and to make ethical choices as they grew older. He asked within what framework I would use to teach them.

Being young and passionate, I told him, of course, I would instruct my kid's moral education on my own because I would know best how to teach my own. Was that not part of parenting? And no, I didn't need any sort of religious environment to help. Who wanted that mess cluttering their moral upbringing? I would teach my kids to be rational, and my kids were going to make those kinds of decisions for themselves.

Then, my prof made a profound statement that I carry with me to this day. He said that, too, he had been just as stoic as a young man. But over time he came to see the error in his thinking. He asked me why I would want to reinvent the wheel in the education of my children? He said, "Why not use the church as a moral compass ... they have all of the lessons laid out ahead of time ... they have all the bases covered, so to speak." He said that while I did not have to agree with the church, I could do a lot worse than use the framework they bring to the moral education of my children. He also said that with age I would see what he was talking about.

He was right, and I agree.

NEWSBYTES
Robertson warns Pennsylvania voters of God's wrath
Eight 'intelligent design' school board members lost election
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Conservative Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson told citizens of a Pennsylvania town that they had rejected God by voting their school board out of office for supporting "intelligent design" and warned them Thursday not to be surprised if disaster struck. Read full story.

Pat Robertson warns Pa. town of disaster
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) -- Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson warned residents of a rural Pennsylvania town Thursday that disaster may strike there because they "voted God out of your city" by ousting school board members who favored teaching intelligent design. Read full story.

Also see: Kansas School Board Redefines Academic Freedom

Tension: Promoting even more liberal intolerance in the blogs
Gravity: Historical

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

ADVERTISEMENT

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home