Friday, January 20, 2006

Outside New Orleans, Katrina Victims Feel Forgotten

GULF COAST HURRICANES

President Bush praises Gulf Coast residents for their rebuilding efforts during a visit to St. Stanislaus College in Bay St. Louis, Miss. in this Jan. 12, 2006 file photo. Although it has been over four months since Hurricane Katrina hit the coast, areas remain to be cleaned up so recovery can begin. (AP Photo/Rogelio Solis, FILE) COMMENTLINE
Having lived in the Gulf Coast area during the Hurricane Katrina disaster, I am not sure I understand what the headline really means. Hey, but that's just me.

Folks who went right to work rebuilding their lives after the storm really didn't have much time for feeling forgotten or sorry for themselves. Pehaps the story is just an attempt to make news. As for me, I have a lot of empathy for the folks, but I'd rather go about my business without being gawked at.

NEWSLINES
"Beer, cigarettes, alcohol. I got the necessities," proprietor Morris Hartt, 51, jokes as he serves a thin trickle of mud-splattered customers.

"The only one that helps is me. What's been done, I did it myself," said Ned Malley, a 68-year-old welder. "You can't get no help down here."


NEWSBYTE
Outside New Orleans, Katrina victims feel forgotten
VENICE, Louisiana (Reuters) - At the mouth of the Mississippi River, where Hurricane Katrina flattened nearly everything in sight, residents consider themselves the "forgotten survivors."

With so much public attention paid to New Orleans, locals living on the decimated, southernmost spit of Louisiana fret that little is coming their way to help rebuild their houses and businesses that sat directly in Katrina's path. Read full story.

NOTE: Mouseover pictures for captions.
NOTE: All rights are reserved by image owners; site image content is linked only.

Tags: , , , , , , ,
Global Tags: , , , , , ,
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home