Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Counterbalance: Wed. 14 June

THE BUZZ OUTSIDE THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA

America

COMMENTLINES
Readers of my blog, the ones who actually read my posts rather than just drive-by for the pictures, will notice that the blog has been gradually becoming more conservative.

And there’s a reason for that.

It’s because in order to have a voice, you have to take a position; I have taken a positive position.

If optimism is the canon of conservatism, then pessimism is the dogma of liberalism.

While it’s true, I was once a liberal, I tend to think of that kind of liberalism more as idealism. When I was younger, I was an idealist; my journalism degree was my field commission in the politics of liberalism.

So, what happened?

In simple terms, I grew weary of always seeing my glass half empty as opposed to half filled. In idealistic terms, I simply grew out of the limited frame of reference to which liberalism constricts the mind.

With that, and no good segue to offer, I want to share my observations about something interesting that happened today.

I often listen to Laura Ingram and Rush Limbaugh as I fritter away my otherwise preoccupied day.

Today, fresh from the Yearly Kos convention in Las Vegas, after attending seminars in the finer aspects of calling conservative talk radio, liberals phoned in to match wits with Laura and Rush.

The results were pretty bloody ... for the liberal callers, that is.

I don’t know what they charged folks to attend the Kos convention. Clearly the callers I heard today came away from their seminars shortchanged. When they phoned in, it was if the callers showed up at a gunfight armed with a bat. The results were quick, brutal and smartly decisive.

Hey caller folks, it’s like the ad says, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

In media and politics:
Today, Markos Moulitsas, writing in his blog, Daily Kos, summed the whole liberal attitude up quite sussinctly. In his post, It's all about me, we find the elitist cannot escape from the pessimistic elitism that has come to define the left.

On the environment:
Politicians aren’t scientists. That little fact, however, doesn’t keep politicians from trying to make scientific arguments about things they know verry little about.

NEWSBYTES

MEDIA AND POLITICS
It's all about me
by kos
(dailykos.com) -- So the bad side-effect of the YearlyKos convention is dealing with the media hordes who can't understand that this movement truly is leaderless. It doesn't fit any of their pre-existing biases and frames, so I have to be the "leader" of this "cult". Or something like that.

ENVIRONEMT/GLOBAL WARMING
Scientists respond to Gore's warnings of climate catastrophe
"The Inconvenient Truth" is indeed inconvenient to alarmists
By Tom Harris

(canadafreepress.com) -- "Scientists have an independent obligation to respect and present the truth as they see it," Al Gore sensibly asserts in his film "An Inconvenient Truth", showing at Cumberland 4 Cinemas in Toronto since Jun 2. With that outlook in mind, what do world climate experts actually think about the science of his movie?

Tags: , , , , , , , ,
Global Tags:
, , , , , , , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home