The Decline and Fall of Western Civ for 10 Nov.
Be Afraid. Be very afraid.
- The Daily Mail reports the former British Ministry of Defense UFO project chief warns 'Aliens could attack at any time.'
"The X-Files have been closed down."
- Here's the latest attempt to insure the U.S. will never again be able to secure its national interests. Time reports a lawsuit in Germany will seek a criminal prosecution of the former Defense Secretary and other U.S. officials for their alleged role in abuses at Abu Ghraib and Gitmo.
Keeping in mind that liberals are liberals no matter how they try to hide it, please note there has been no international action made to legally pursue terrorists who have routinely beheaded victims and targeted civilians.
- A purported audio recording by the leader of Iraq's al Qaeda wing gloated over the resignation of Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, as a top U.S. general said the military was preparing to recommend strategy changes, reports Reuters.
Abu Hamza al-Muhajir, also known as Abu Ayyub al-Masri, said in the recording posted on the Internet on Friday that the group had 12,000 armed fighters and 10,000 others waiting to be equipped to fight U.S. troops in Iraq.
"I tell the lame duck (U.S. administration) do not rush to escape as did your defense minister...stay on the battle ground," he said.
"I swear by God we shall not rest from jihad until we...blow up the filthiest house known as the White House," the voice on the recording said.
- AP reports Al-Qaida in Iraq claimed in a new audio tape Friday to be winning the war faster than expected in Iraq and said it had mobilized 12,000 fighters who had "vowed to die for God's sake."
"The al-Qaida army has 12,000 fighters in Iraq, and they have vowed to die for God's sake," a man who identified himself as Abu Hamza al- Muhajir said.
"We will not rest from our Jihad until we are under the olive trees of Rumieh and we have blown up the filthiest house _ which is called the White House," al-Muhajir said. It was not clear what Rumieh was referring to.
- An audio clip purportedly recorded by the leader of Iraq's al Qaeda wing, has been posted on the internet gloating over the resignation of US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and boasts that the group has 12,000 armed fighters ready to fight US troops in Iraq, reports the Daily Mail.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on Friday called U.S. President George W. Bush's defeat in congressional elections a victory for Iran, reports Reuters.
"This issue (the elections) is not a purely domestic issue for America, but it is the defeat of Bush's hawkish policies in the world," Khamenei said in remarks reported by Iran's student news agency ISNA on Friday.
"Since Washington's hostile and hawkish policies have always been against the Iranian nation, this defeat is actually an obvious victory for the Iranian nation."
- British authorities are tracking almost 30 terrorist plots involving 1,600 individuals, the head of Britain's MI5 spy agency said, adding that many of the suspects are homegrown British terrorists plotting homicide attacks according to Fox News.
- In a preview of things to come, student leaders at a California college have touched off a furor by banning the Pledge of Allegiance at their meetings, saying they see no reason to publicly swear loyalty to God and the U.S. government, reports Reuters.
"The fact that they have enough power to ban one of the most valued traditions in America is just horrible," Zoldos said, adding she would attend every board meeting to salute the flag.Happy birthday Marines! It's time to remember our country's fallen heroes on Veterans Day.
Tags: Decline and Fall of Western Civ, Open Thread, Wire, Headlines, United States, Iran, Iraq, Middle East, terrorism, Congress, Republican, Democrat, Republicans, Democrats, election, liberal, conservative, Bush, Rumsfeld, Marines, Marine Corps, War, Military
Global Tags: Washington DC, News and Politics, News, Politics, Current Events, Current Affairs, Life, Culture, Buzz, Tension
Maintain THE TENSION, visit the online store:
THE TENSION EXCHANGE