OIF Summary; Nov. 13, 2008: Troops in Iraq Target al-Qaida Networks, Capture 10 Suspects
Dispatches from the Front:
WASHINGTON, Nov. 13, 2008 -- Coalition forces killed one terrorist, captured four suspected terrorists and detained six additional suspects during operations today targeting al-Qaida in Iraq's financial, explosives and leadership networks, military officials reported.
Terrorist funding networks in northern Iraq were disrupted today by two coalition force operations. During the first operation near Hawijah, southwest of Kirkuk, one man was killed by forces targeting a Tamim province al-Qaida financial operative. Coalition forces were led to a residence in the area after reports suggested the man was located there.
When they entered the building, a man attempted to engage forces with an AK-47 assault rifle. Forces engaged the armed man and killed him. It was later determined he was the wanted individual. Five additional suspects were detained for further questioning.
In the second operation targeting terrorist financial networks, coalition forces in Mosul captured a man believed to be a financial facilitator in the region.
Coalition forces targeting al-Qaida's explosives networks captured two men near Beiji, south of Mosul.
In Baghdad’s Karmah neighborhood, coalition forces captured a man alleged to have ties to the city's roadside-bomb and terrorist leadership networks.
Coalition forces continued to degrade the Iranian-backed Kataib Hezbollah criminal network with the capture of a key network member during an operation in Baghdad's Adhamiyah district.
Acting on intelligence information, coalition forces targeted a Kataib Hezbollah cell leader believed to have been involved in a July attack against Iraqi and coalition forces. Coalition forces approached the targeted individual's residence, where he identified himself and was apprehended without incident. During their search, coalition forces also discovered two AK-47s and a hand gun.
In operations yesterday:
- Soldiers from 2nd Platoon, Company B, 4th Battalion, 64th Armor Regiment, attached to the 4th Infantry Division’s 1st Brigae Combat Team, arrested two suspected criminals in southern Baghdad’s Risalah neighborhood.
- Iraqi soldiers informed 1st Infantry Division soldiers serving with Company C, 1st Battalion, 18th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, of a possible car bombThe soldiers removed two 57 mm mortar rounds and homemade ammonium nitrate from a parked vehicle in the Saalam neighborhood in Baghdad.
- Iraqi police found two Iranian-manufactured 107 mm rockets and some 7.62 mm and PKC ammunition in an abandoned house in Baghdad’s New Baghdad district.
- Members of a “Sons of Iraq” citizen security group provided information that led to the discovery of a cache containing 220 mortar rounds of various sizes, a rocket and bomb-making munitions southwest of Samarra. The cache was handed over to coalition explosive ordnance disposal forces to destroy.
- Coalition forces detained an alleged Kataib Hezbollah criminal without incident at his residence south of Sadr City.
- In southern Baghdad’s Aamel community soldiers from the 4th Infantry Division’s Company A, 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, discovered and seized a 155 mm artillery round, four AK-47s, two ballistic protective plates and an assortment of tactical apparel.
- Soldiers from the Scout Platoon, Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 2nd Battalion, 4th Infantry Regiment, attached to the 4th Infantry Division’s 1st Brigae Combat Team, detained an al-Qaida in Iraq terrorist during a raid in the Hadar community. The patrol transported the detainee, who was wanted for roadside-bomb attacks and recruiting more terrorists, to a nearby coalition forces base for processing.
- Soldiers serving with the 4th Infantry Division’s Company A, 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, found a 155 mm round, four AK-47s, two ballistic plates and tactical gear in Baghdad’s West Rashid district.
- Tikrit police found al-Qaida propaganda, which led them to the location of a cache with more than 150 mortars, more than 30 rockets and bomb-making materials.
- In southern Baghdad’s Shurta community, soldiers from Company C, 4th Battalion, 64th Armor Regiment, attached to the 4th Infantry Division’s 1st Brigade Combat Team, detained a suspect during a search operation.
- Iraqi National Police and coalition forces captured 66 wanted suspects in Mosul. The police had warrants for the suspects and detained them in the southern Mosul neighborhood of Abu Sayf.
- Iraqi and coalition forces detained four men during a raid in the Younis Al Sabawi neighborhood. The detainees are all suspected insurgent group members, officials said. During the raid, Iraqi soldiers and soldiers from Company D, 1st Battalion, 8th Infantry Regiment, also found a large amount of Iraqi currency and several Iraqi IDs that did not belong to anyone in the house.
Tags: DOD, War, Military, GWOT, terrorism, al Qaeda, al Qaida, Middle East, Operation Iraqi Freedom, United States, U.S., coalition, Iraq, Dispatches from the Front, Multinational Force
Global Tags: Washington DC, News and Politics, News, Politics, Current Events, Current Affairs, Life, Culture, Buzz, Tension