OIF Summary; Nov. 23, 2008: Troops in Iraq Capture 42 Suspected Terrorists, Seize Weapons
Dispatches from the Front:
WASHINGTON, Nov. 23, 2008 -- Coalition and Iraqi forces detained 42 suspected terrorists and seized weapons caches across Iraq over the past three days, military officials said.
In two separate operations in Baghdad today, troops captured eight suspected members of an insurgent network. Military officials said the network, known as Asaib Ahl al-Haq, engages in roadside bombings, kidnappings and sectarian killings.
During the first operation, coalition forces caught three suspected insurgents without incident in the Adhamiyah district. Troops detained five other alleged Asaib Ahl al-Haq members in New Baghdad.
Also in Baghdad's Adhamiyah district today, troops apprehended six alleged members of the Kataib Hezbollah network. During the course of operations, forces also discovered two AK-47 assault rifles, a shotgun and several handguns.
During operations in Iraq yesterday:
- Troops detained seven suspects in Baghdad during an operation targeting a local al-Qaida in Iraq car-bomb facilitator, military officials said.
- Forces in Beiji caught one wanted man believed to be a cell leader of an al-Qaida in Iraq roadside bombing ring in the region. Forces detained two other suspected terrorists in the raid; they are being held for further questioning.
- Iraqi police thwarted a kidnapping attempt in the Shaab neighborhood of Baghdad's Adhamiyah district. The police opened fire on four gunmen in a white van in the midst of a kidnapping attempt, injuring one man who was detained on site. Police later nabbed a second kidnapper.
- Multinational Division Baghdad soldiers detained a suspected terrorist and a wanted individual in southern Bahdad’s Rashid district. The suspect allegedly has ties with al-Qaeda in Iraq groups operating in the area and is believed to have assisted in carrying out bombing attacks.
- Coalition and Iraqi forces disrupted terrorist activities during two operations in Ninevah province. In Mosul, combined forces dismantled a roadside bomb, and in Saraj, they seized a cache of weapons containing assault rifles, ammunition, bomb-making materials and other military equipment.
- Troops discovered three weapons caches in the Iraqi capital that contained mortars, rockets, grenades, roadside bombs, assault rifles and other military equipment. Stockpiles were discovered in Baghdad's Sadr City, Rashid and Rusafa areas.
- Multinational Division Baghdad soldiers caught six alleged terrorists in Baghdad's Adhamiyah district. Military officials said the detained individuals are suspected of crimes against Iraqi people and security personnel and coalition forces. Troops also confiscated five cell phones, two vehicles and a suitcase containing the equivalent of $200.
- Forces near Yusifiyah detained a suspected terrorist believed to be an al-Qaida in Iraq car-bomb and roadside-bomb cell member who operates in Baghdad and Fallujah. Troops captured three additional suspects in the operation.
- Coalition forces captured a wanted man believed to be responsible for planting roadside bombs targeting troops along roads in and around Beiji. Reports suggest the suspected terrorist also threatens Iraqis who cooperate with coalition forces. Troops detained one additional man for further questioning.
- Troops in the Risalah community of Baghdad detained two suspected criminals during an operation.
- Coalition and Iraq forces discovered weapons caches in the New Baghdad and West Rashid districts of the Iraqi capital. The inventories included an anti-tank guided missile, grenades, ammunition and other military equipment.
Tags: DOD, War, Military, GWOT, terrorism, al Qaeda, al Qaida, Middle East, Operation Iraqi Freedom, United States, U.S., coalition, Iraq, Dispatches from the Front, Multinational Force
Global Tags: Washington DC, News and Politics, News, Politics, Current Events, Current Affairs, Life, Culture, Buzz, Tension