OIF Summary; Nov. 7, 2008: Troops in Iraq Round Up 24 Terror Suspects
Dispatches from the Front:
WASHINGTON, Nov. 7, 2008 -- Coalition troops captured 24 suspected terrorists throughout Iraq today and yesterday, dealing a blow to al-Qaida in Iraq in multiple locations, military officials reported.
- In Tikrit, forces captured an alleged terrorist finance administrator and detained a man assessed to be his associate.
- In three synchronized operations in Kirkuk, coalition and Iraqi forces captured two suspected terrorists and detained seven others for questioning.
- About 60 miles south of Kirkuk, another coalition operation targeted and captured a suspected weapons facilitator for al-Qaida in Iraq in the Tigris River Valley. Four more suspects also were detained.
- In Baghdad, coalition forces captured a man suspected of being an al-Qaida in Iraq administrative operative in the city.
- Near Tarmiyah, about 25 miles north of Baghdad, forces detained seven suspects believed to be associates of a long-time terrorist operative in Anbar province.
- In Mosul, forces captured a suspected terrorist believed to have links to international al-Qaida networks, officials said. The man, who is also believed to be a financial administrator, was detained with three additional suspects.
- Iraqi security forces captured five suspected terrorists in separate operations Nov. 4 and 5 throughout central Iraq. They include a man in Baghdad believed responsible for a rocket attack on Forward Operating Base Warhorse in June, two suspected criminal leaders in Hashimiyah, another man in Baghdad suspected of kidnappings and killings in Karkh, and a man in Amarah suspected of attacks on troops.
- Iraqi police prevented a vehicle-borne explosion when they discovered the wired car in eastern Mosul yesterday.
- Iraqi forces and soldiers with the 25th Infantry Division’s 1st Battalion, 27 Infantry Regiment, 2nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, dismantled a concrete block encasing a 125 mm rocket. They also seized two weapons caches containing a land mine, ammunition, propaganda, cell phones, circuit boards and body armor at a suspected terrorist safe house.
- Soldiers with the 4th Infantry Division’s 1st Battalion, 67th Armor Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, seized four weapons caches Nov. 4 in the Hawijah area of Kirkuk province. The cache included rocket-propelled grenade launchers, more than 200 mortar rounds, artillery and rocket rounds and bomb-making materials.
Tags: DOD, War, Military, GWOT, terrorism, al Qaeda, al Qaida, Middle East, Operation Iraqi Freedom, United States, U.S., coalition, Iraq, Dispatches from the Front, Multinational Force
Global Tags: Washington DC, News and Politics, News, Politics, Current Events, Current Affairs, Life, Culture, Buzz, Tension