Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Deputy Defense Secretary England Announces Departure

News in Balance

News in Balance:

WASHINGTON, Dec. 2, 2008 -- Deputy Secretary of Defense Gordon England said today that he will not be staying with Secretary Gates in the Obama Administration. "I congratulate President-Elect Obama for retaining Bob Gates as secretary, and I salute Bob Gates for his continued commitment," England said.

"However, it's time for me to leave. When I came into government in early 2001, I anticipated serving for two to four years. After almost eight years, it's now time for me to turn over the reins to a successor. Also, it's most appropriate for the new administration to name its own deputy."

England said he will stay for some time past Jan. 20, if requested, to assure a smooth transition.

England added, "It's been an astonishing time to serve the nation under President Bush and alongside Secretaries Don Rumsfeld and Bob Gates, each of whom I greatly admire. I thank the brave men and women of our military, and their families, for their service and sacrifice, and for the honor of serving them."

(Report from a U.S. Defense Department press release.)

Tags: , , , , , , , ,
Global Tags:
, , , , , , , , ,

Labels: , , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home