OIF Summary; Dec. 14, 2008: Troops in Iraq Nab Suspects, Seize Weapons
Dispatches from the Front:
WASHINGTON, Dec. 14, 2008 -- Coalition and Iraqi forces detained eight suspected terrorists and seized weapons in Iraq over the past three days, military officials said.
During operations in Iraq yesterday:
- Sons of Iraq and Iraqi national police turned over munitions to Multinational Division Baghdad soldiers in the Kadamiyah and Sadr City sections of Baghdad. The two caches contained an automatic rifle and ammunition, bomb-making materials and mortars.
- Iraqi national police and Multinational Division Baghdad soldiers found weapons caches in the East Rashid district, in New Baghdad and elsewhere in the Iraqi capital. The stockpiles contained mortars, bomb-making materials and other military equipment.
- Iraqi army soldiers found a homemade explosive in Baghdad's Rashid District. The bomb was attached by magnets to a gate surrounding the residence of a neighborhood advisory councilman in the Saydiyah community. The Baghdad explosive ordnance disposal unit detonated the device on site.
- Coalition and Iraqi security forces detained six suspected terrorists in Mosul’s Shuada neighborhood around 4 a.m. Coalition Spokesman Army Maj. Gary Dangerfield said: "Our focus has not changed. We will continue to pursue terrorists were they live and try to conduct operations."
- Soldiers assigned to 10th Mountain Division’s 4th Brigade Combat Team captured two suspects in eastern Baghdad's Rusafa district around 3 a.m. Army Maj. Joey Sullinger, spokesman for 4th Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division thanked Iraqi citizens for assisting in establishing security and stability. "As long as these criminals choose to keep bringing death and destruction to the people of eastern Baghdad, we will help Iraqi security forces hunt them down," he said.
- Iraqi army and Multinational Division Baghdad soldiers found weapons caches in the Mahmoudiya section of Baghdad. A tip from a local Iraqi guided soldiers serving with 3rd Battalion, 23rd Brigade, 17th Iraqi Army Division to three 120 mm rounds, 40 fuses and three mortar tubes.
Tags: DOD, War, Military, GWOT, terrorism, al Qaeda, al Qaida, Middle East, Operation Iraqi Freedom, OIF, United States, U.S., coalition, Iraq, Dispatches from the Front, Multinational Force
Global Tags: Washington DC, News and Politics, News, Politics, Current Events, Current Affairs, Life, Culture, Buzz, Tension