OIF Summary; Jan. 11, 2009: Forces Seize Weapons in Baghdad
Dispatches from the Front:
WASHINGTON, Jan. 11, 2009 -- Iraqi police, Iraqi army and Multinational Division Baghdad Soldiers seized multiple weapons and munitions caches in Baghdad Jan. 10, officials in Iraq reported.
- Iraqi Army soldiers serving with 1st Battalion, 25th Brigade, 17th Iraq Army Division discovered a weapons cache south of Baghdad yesterday. It consisted of SA-7 missiles and SA-7 thermal batteries and was turned over to 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armor Division, to be destroyed.
- Sons of Iraq members discovered a 60 mm mortar tube and a smoke grenade about 20 minutes later in Dhamiyah.
- Northwest of Bagdad, Iraqi Army soldiers serving with 4th Battalion, 36th Brigade, 9th Iraq Army Division, seized 57 mm projectiles northwest of Baghdad. The munitions were turned in to 2nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division, for disposal.
- In Karadah, soldiers of Company B, 1st Battalion, 66th Armor Regiment, serving with 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, found rocket rails and a rocket.
- While serving an arrest warrant in Shulla, Iraqi Army soldiers serving with 2nd Battalion, 22nd Brigade, 6th Iraq Army Division, along with soldiers of Company B, 1st Battalion, 18th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, confiscated another cache. It included an AK-47 rifle, a 100-round drum of AK-47 ammunition, magazines, a rifle butt-stock, 7.62 mm sniper rounds, pistol rounds, pistol holsters, electric breakers, a bag of wires and compact discs.
- In the Saydiyah community, soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 24th Brigade, 6th Iraqi Army Division, and national police from the 5th Brigade, 2nd Iraqi National Police Division, partnered with Company B, 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, confiscated AK-47 assault rifles from three different locations while conducting a combined clearance operation.
- Soldiers from Troop A, 7th Squadron, 10th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Multinational Division Baghdad, reported the Sons of Iraq discovered a 122 mm rocket and makeshift rail system. The discovery occurred after members noticed suspicious activity in the Ghartan community. An explosives disposal unit properly disposed of the rocket.
- In the Bayaa community, soldiers from Company A, 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Multinational Division Baghdad, partnered with the 2nd Battalion, 5th Brigade, 2nd National Police Division, discovered an AK-47 assault rifle, an AK-47 magazine and pistols.
- Soldiers from Company D, 1st Battalion, 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, attached to the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Multinational Division Baghdad, partnered with the 1st Battalion, 7th Brigade, 2nd Iraqi National Police Division, discovered a 225-pound bomb near a road in the Karb De Gla community. An explosives ordnance disposal unit destroyed the bomb on site.
- In the Shurta community, soldiers from Company D, 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Multinational Division Baghdad, partnered with the 3rd Battalion, 5th Brigade, 2nd Iraqi National Police Division, discovered a homemade bomb made of plastic explosives. An Iraqi explosives disposal unit properly disposed of the bomb.
Tags: DOD, War, Military, GWOT, terrorism, al Qaeda, al Qaida, Middle East, Operation Iraqi Freedom, OIF, United States, U.S., coalition, Iraq, Dispatches from the Front, Multinational Force
Global Tags: Washington DC, News and Politics, News, Politics, Current Events, Current Affairs, Life, Culture, Buzz, Tension