OIF Summary; Jan. 9, 2009: Troops in Iraq Seize Weapons Stockpiles
Dispatches from the Front:
WASHINGTON, Jan. 9, 2009 -- Iraqi and U.S. soldiers, Iraqi police and “Sons of Iraq” civilian security group members seized several weapons caches in Baghdad this week, military officials reported.
In operations yesterday:
- Iraqi and U.S. soldiers, working on a tip, seized four 60 mm rockets and three warheads in Baghdad.
- U.S. soldiers seized a 107 mm rocket, bomb-making materials and an assortment of small arms near Taji, north of Baghdad.
- Iraqi security forces working with U.S. soldiers discovered a mortar round and roadside bomb in Baghdad's Rashid district.
- Police in Baghdad’s Risalah community, working with U.S. soldiers, found a 60 mm mortar round while on patrol.
- On a combined patrol with U.S. soldiers, police found a roadside bomb in Baghdad’s Saha neighborhood.
- North of Baghdad on Jan. 7, Iraqi and U.S. soldiers found a cache that contained two 155 mm projectiles, a 107 mm rocket, 17 57 mm rockets, 12 60 mm mortars, two 60 mm mortar tubes, 12 rocket-propelled grenades, 8,000 rounds of small-arms ammunition, 12 blasting caps, a radio and 200 feet of detonation cord.
- Sons of Iraq members seized 19 57 mm projectiles in Baghdad's Tarmiyah area Jan. 6 and transferred them to local police.
Tags: DOD, War, Military, GWOT, terrorism, al Qaeda, al Qaida, Middle East, Operation Iraqi Freedom, OIF, United States, U.S., coalition, Iraq, Dispatches from the Front, Multinational Force
Global Tags: Washington DC, News and Politics, News, Politics, Current Events, Current Affairs, Life, Culture, Buzz, Tension