OIF Summary, June 29, 2009: Troops in Iraq Detain Terrorist Suspects
Dispatches from the Front:
WASHINGTON, June 29, 2009 -- Coalition and Iraq forces detained nearly two dozen suspected militants during recent operations in Iraq, military officials said.
During June 27 operations:
- Combined forces arrested seven suspected terrorists with warrants during an operation in the Ninewa province. They are suspected of operating in a terrorist cell, which conducts attacks against Iraqi civilians and security forces in the area.
- Coalition and Iraqi troops arrested five suspected terrorists with warrants during an intelligence-driven raid in Baghdad. The suspects are allegedly responsible for conducting improvised explosive device attacks, kidnapping Iraqi citizens and murder.
- In a separate raid in the Iraqi capital, combined troops arrested two alleged terrorists with warrants. Military reports indicate the suspects are allegedly responsible for kidnapping and killing Iraqi citizens and are linked to an insurgent network that has launched attacks against Iraqi security forces.
- Combined forces arrested a suspected terrorist during an operation in the Diyala province. The suspect is linked to a terrorist cell responsible for kidnapping and rocket attacks against the people of Diyala.
- Combined forces detained three alleged terrorists during an intelligence-driven mission in the Iraqi capital. The suspects are believed responsible for attacks against Iraqi security forces in the Baghdad area.
- Iraqi and coalition forces arrested two suspected terrorists near Latafiyah. The suspects were apprehended for their alleged involvement with violent extremists operating in and around the southern belt of the capital.
- Combined forces arrested a suspected terrorist during an operation in the Diyala province. The man is suspected of conducting various terrorist attacks against Iraqi citizens and security forces in Diyala.
- Iraqi and coalition forces arrested a suspected terrorist leader during an operation in the Ninewa province. The man is suspected of leading a group of terrorists in killings, armed attacks and terrorist operations against the Iraqi people and Iraqi security forces in Ninewa.
- Combined forces arrested a suspected terrorist in the southern Iraqi town of Basra during an Iraqi-led operation. Military officials said the man’s capture degrades the ability of terrorists to conduct attacks against the Iraqi government, Iraqi security forces and coalition forces in Basra.
Tags: DOD, War, Military, GWOT, terrorism, al Qaeda, al Qaida, Operation Iraqi Freedom, OIF, United States, U.S., coalition, Iraq, Dispatches from the Front, Multinational Force
Global Tags: Washington DC, News and Politics, News, Politics, Current Events, Current Affairs, Life, Culture, Buzz, Tension