OEF Summary, Oct. 19, 2009: Forces Disrupt Terrorist Networks in Afghanistan
Dispatches from the Front:
WASHINGTON, Oct. 19, 2009 -- Afghan and international security forces killed multiple militants and detained several suspects in operations in Afghanistan over the past four days, military officials reported.
A combined security force in Khowst detained several suspected militants today after searching a compound in the province's Sabari district, north of Khowst City. Intelligence reports indicated militant activity there.
The compound is known to be used by a Haqqani terrorist network facilitator and his element, believed to be responsible for funding and supplying weapons and homemade bomb materials to other militant elements in the region.
The force searched the compound without incident and detained the suspected militants, one of whom was identified as the Haqqani facilitator. No shots were fired, and no one was harmed.
The Haqqani network has developed an extensive system of supply routes in eastern Afghanistan used to arm, man and equip its militant elements and training camps within the country, officials said. Afghan and international security forces are working together to block these routes and ensure the safety and well-being of the Afghan people.
In Oct. 17 operations in Afghanistan:
- A combined security force killed several enemy militants and detained a few suspected militants after searching a compound in Khowst province known to be used by a key Taliban commander in charge of multiple fighters in the region. The force targeted the mountainside compound near the village of Afzal Kheyl in Sperah district after intelligence indicated militant activity. No Afghan civilians or combined force members were harmed during this operation.
- In Ghazni province, a combined force killed enemy militants after searching a compound known through intelligence reports to be used by insurgents as a safe haven. No Afghan civilians or combined force members were harmed during this operation.
- A combined security force detained several suspected militants in Wardak province after searching compounds known to be used by a Taliban commander believed responsible for coordinating a Taliban intelligence network in the region. The force conducted the search without incident near the village of Kuz Janjay in Saydabad district after intelligence indicated militant activity. No shots were fired, and no Afghan civilians or combined force members were injured during the operation.
- A combined force killed a small group of militants and wounded several others in Oruzgan province during an operation to detain a suspected insurgent leader believed to be responsible for planning and conducting insurgent operations in Kochak village in Khas Oruzgan district.
- In Helmand province, a combined force killed an enemy militant, detained several others and confiscated an assault rifle after coming under direct fire from enemy militants while conducting a routine patrol in Nahri Sarraj Desert in Lashkar Gah district. No Afghan civilians or combined force members were harmed during this operation.