Pentagon Identifies 8 Army Casualties (OEF)
News in Balance:
WASHINGTON, Oct. 7, 2009 -- The following news release made available Wednesday by the U.S. Department of Defense is the text of a statement identifying casualties:
The Department of Defense announced today the death of eight soldiers who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom. They died Oct. 3 in Kamdesh, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked their contingency outpost with small arms, rocket-propelled grenade and indirect fires. They were assigned to the 3rd Squadron, 61st Cavalry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Carson, Colo.(Report from a U.S. Defense Department news release.)
- Staff Sgt. Vernon W. Martin, 25 of Savannah, Ga.
- Sgt. Justin T. Gallegos, 27, of Tucson, Ariz.
- Sgt. Joshua M. Hardt, 24, of Applegate, Calif.
- Sgt. Joshua J. Kirk, 30, of South Portland, Maine.
- Sgt. Michael P. Scusa, 22, of Villas, N.J.
- Spc. Christopher T. Griffin, 24, of Kincheloe, Mich.
- Spc. Stephan L. Mace, 21, of Lovettsville, Va.
- Pfc. Kevin C. Thomson, 22, of Reno, Nev.