Tuesday, December 8, 2009

OEF Summary, Dec. 8, 2009: Forces in Afghanistan Kill Militants, Detain Suspects

Dispatches from the Front

Dispatches from the Front:

WASHINGTON, Dec. 8, 2009 -- Combined Afghan and international forces killed seven militants and detained several suspected insurgents in operations today in Afghanistan.

A combined force killed seven militants and detained four others in Laghman province while pursuing a Taliban bomb maker responsible for several suicide attacks in the region.

"We are aware of civilian casualty allegations, however there are no operational reports to substantiate those claims of harming civilians, including women and children, during this operation," said Navy Capt. Jane Campbell, International Security Assistance Force Joint Command spokeswoman.

The force targeted a compound near Armul village in the Mehtar Lam district after intelligence sources reported militant activity. During the operation, the joint force received hostile fire from multiple positions and returned fire. The force searched the compound without further incident and recovered multiple assault rifles.

In another operation today, an Afghan and international security force detained several suspected militants in Kandahar province while pursuing a Taliban commander responsible for several small-arms and homemade-bomb attacks in the area.

The suspects were detained without incident when the force searched compounds near Senjaray in Arghandab district where intelligence sources reported militant activity.

In other operations, international forces provided medical treatment to several civilians who were injured during two insurgent attacks against Afghan and international forces in Paktia province Dec. 5.

Insurgents aimed a mortar at an international-force installation that hit a bazaar in Chamkani, wounding many civilians. Among the wounded was the son of a local religious leader who was shopping for fruits and vegetables with his father when the mortar exploded near them.

The wounded man was taken to a military medical facility for treatment, where he died of his injuries.

Arrangements were made for the family to return to Chamkani. A hotline and reward have been set up for information leading to the militants responsible for the attack.

(From an International Security Assistance Force Joint Command news release.)

Labels: , , , , , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


Post a Comment

<< Home