OIF Summary, Dec. 28, 2009: Forces in Iraq Arrest Terrorism Suspects
Dispatches from the Front:
WASHINGTON, Dec. 28, 2009 -- Iraqi forces, aided by U.S. advisors, arrested several suspected terrorists and seized weapons in recent days, military officials reported.
Iraqi security forces today arrested 14 suspected terrorists during a series of operations conducted in northern Iraq targeting suspected al-Qaida in Iraq members.
In southwest Baghdad, Iraqi forces, aided by U.S. advisors, arrested a suspected al-Qaida in Iraq explosives operative believed to be planning and conducting homemade bomb attacks throughout Diyala province.
Meanwhile, in a separate operation in Jalula, northeast of Baghdad, Iraqi and U.S. forces arrested four suspected al-Qaida members.
Also today, while conducting an operation southwest of Kirkuk, Iraqi and U.S. forces arrested nine suspected al-Qaida members.
During an operation in Ninevah yesterday, Iraqi and U.S. forces shot and killed a suspected terrorist after he fired at them. Another suspect was arrested.
Also yesterday, Iraqi security forces arrested three suspected terrorists during operations conducted near Mosul and Baghdad.
Additionally, a surveillance crewman on board a 25th Combat Aviation Brigade surveillance aircraft spotted three suspicious men digging and placing an unknown object alongside a road north of Kirkuk on Dec. 25.
As members of a route clearance team attempted to capture the suspects, two of the suspects began shooting. The patrol returned fire, killing one suspect and injuring another. The third suspect surrendered. The soldiers discovered two homemade bombs where the suspects had been digging. They also found two 105 mm artillery rounds, a 122 mm artillery round, a landmine and an 80 mm mortar round. A U.S. explosive ordnance disposal team used C4 explosives to destroy the bombs and artillery rounds.
After questioning the non-injured suspect, Iraqi soldiers went to his house and arrested three more suspects.
In other operations in Iraq:
- Iraqi police and U.S. advisors arrested four suspected terrorists Dec. 25 and 26 in northeastern Mosul while targeting a suspected member of al-Qaida in Iraq believed to be responsible for suicide vest attacks in Balad and Muqdadiyah.
- Iraqi police arrested a suspected terrorist group leader and nine suspects Dec. 26 during security operations near Tikrit. The security team discovered five 107 mm rockets, more than 20 rocket-propelled grenades, seven RPG launchers, two 80 mm mortars and more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition.
- Iraqi security forces arrested two terrorist suspects during a Dec. 26 operation in northeastern Baghdad.
- Iraqi security forces arrested five suspected members of the Kata'ib Hezbollah terrorist group Dec. 24 in northeastern Baghdad.
- Iraqi security forces arrested two suspected terrorists Dec. 24 in Tikrit. The suspects are believed to be associates of a leader of a Jaysh al-Islami Mujahadeen explosives cell that operates in Bayji.