Wire: 8 Americans Die in Suicide Blast in Afghanistan
Off the Wire:
WASHINGTON, Dec. 30, 2009 -- Newswire services this evening that at eight Americans died Wednesday in a suicide bombing at a military base in eastern Afghanistan, U.S. officials said. Conflicting reports were reaching the Pentagon on whether the victims were civilian or military in the bombing at Forward Operating Base Chapman in Khost province near the border with Pakistan.
The Associated Press said the deaths were confirmed late Wednesday by a U.S. official in the Afghan capital, Kabul.
A senior U.S. official in Washington said the Americans were killed by an attacker wearing a suicide vest.This is a developing story.
Another senior U.S. official in Washington said there were conflicting reports on the number of casualties, and that other people were wounded in the attack.
Wazir Pacha, a police spokesman in Khost province, said local people reported hearing a blast on the base.
Soon afterward, two helicopters landed, a police officer in Khost said.
All the U.S. officials spoke on condition of anonymity because not all details about the incident had been confirmed.
(Report from newswire sources.)