The Decline and Fall of Western Civ. for 2 Sep
- The mobile phone used to take the above picture was stolen from Web designer Ben Clemens on an Amtrak commuter train in California in mid-August, he says, according to Reuters.
- Reuters and AP report that Al Qaeda called on non-Muslims especially in the United States to convert to Islam and abandon their 'misguided' ways or else suffer, according to a video tape posted on a Web site on Saturday. As I first noted in DFWC 8/28, Western conversion or death is the true goal of radical Islamic fascism. I'll say it once again, you can easily pass this off as a frivolous perhaps even meaningless point. However, it would be wise to recall how many folks in history have died before renouncing their religion. AP Video.
- Anglers, don't be alarmed if you catch a trout with an antenna coming out of its belly. It's just a "robo-trout," reports AP.
- CBS News reports that CNN's Kyra Phillips, embarrassed Tuesday when an open mic in the ladies' room turned some private comments into a soundtrack to a live speech by President Bush, poked fun at herself Thursday in an appearance on CBS' "Late Show with David Letterman." See DFWC 8/29 for a link to a video of the gaff.
- A New Zealand man without arms, who was caught speeding, has avoided a court conviction after police dropped dangerous driving charges against him, according to ABC News.
- Affirming the impact of the Internet on music and the wane of MTV, the downward spiral of the MTV Video Music Awards' TV performance continued Thursday night as the ceremony's audience plunged from last year and VMA fans headed online reports B&C.
- Insulting little people around the world, Contact Music reports that British rockers Kasabian said about Justin Timberlake, "He's a midget with whiskers who is just trying to be black." and referring to Timberlake's new track SexyBack, "Sexyback? More like hairy back. It's the worst title of any record I've ever heard!"
- CNN Money releases list of the 25 smartest cities in US. Interestingly enough, sparsely repopulated post-Katrina New Orleans now makes the list.
- While we are on the subject of Hurricane Katrina, Lowe's Home Improvement will soon sell homes in a kit -- plans, materials and appliances, called Katrina Cottages, according to the News & Observer.
- AP reports several Brooklyn residents woke up to find their street empty -- because a prankster had posted a 'No Parking' sign and police had towed their rides. Resident David Bourgeois said he had to pay $205 to retrieve his Mini Cooper, with a $60 ticket on the windshield, from a police pound Wednesday after it was hauled away.
Send news tips to THE TENSION.
Tags: Decline and Fall of Western Civ, Open Thread, Entertainment, Wire, Headlines
Global Tags: Washington DC, News and Politics, News, Politics, Current Events, Current Affairs, Life, Culture, Tension